Saturday, March 22, 2008

My Wonderful Bread Macine

I've had a bread machine for a number of years, and I've only used it three or four times. Two of those times were this weekend as I tried to make Pizza dough. Rather than look in recipe books (I even have the well know The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook), I decided to search the web. I used this google search: vegan +bread +machine +pizza + dough" and I got a number of hits And as with anything else on the web, all hits are either hits or misses and most often, I find, there are more misses than hits. But anyway, I found a recipe that stated I needed 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour and 1 1/2 cup of whole wheat. I placed these and the other ingredients into my bread machine and selected the pizza dough option. 45 minutes later I discovered that I had made a brick of dark, whole wheat something. It certainly wasn't dough. So today I found another recipe, which follows: the instructions at after the ingredients are mine.

--------------------------------------------------

Pizza Dough
3 cups, all purpose flour
1 t. salt
2 t active, dry yeast
¼ cup olive oil
1 cup warm water

Follow the instructions of your bread maker to add the ingredients. In my bead machine I put in the dry ingredients in this order: flour and salt. I then add the water and the oil. My machine has a yeast dispenser so I close the lid and place the yeast in the dispenser. Put the machine on pizza dough and start. When it's done, let it rest for as few hours. I've even read other authors write that you should let the dough rise for 8 hours or over night.

--------------------------------------------------

This recipe turned out perfectly. It made a pizza dough the had the rich, doughy texture that I recalled. It's rising now in seclusion and this evening or tomorrow I will be making a vegan pizza.

No comments: